Sunday, March 25, 2012

DIY: Herringbone Theme Wall

One of my favorite solutions for a refreshing change in any space is paint. A fresh coat instantly transforms a room without changing anything else. To make for an even bolder change, create an accent wall using multiple colors. I've come across several DIY accent walls and the herringbone design is one my favorites! The simple sleek design is a stylish and easy enough pattern to create. One of my favorite DIY projects comes from DIY duo, Ashley and Eric from Design Build Love. Check out how they tackle the herringbone design in their laundry room. Don't let the angles intimidate you...it's a lot easier than you think..


I admit that the downside of painting is prep work but I can't stress enough how important it is to properly prepare to get that smooth finish. Once all that pain in the arse prep work is complete its time to have fun. Choose your base paint color and use strong adhesive paint tape for the pattern. Ashley recommended Frog Tape. I've seen the infomercial for this and was instantly sold on the paint block technology leaving clean lines after peeling it away. I've used that blue stuff plenty of times and had to go back to fix my straight edge design.

Next, the pattern..To simplify, locate the mid point of the wall and draw your vertical line to get two even sections. Find the center of section one and draw your vertical line; do the same for section two. Now you have four even sections and ready to draw your chevron pattern. Evenly space the chevrons as you go and begin taping over your template.
Choose your desired colors. Ashley and Eric used multiple neutral shades.
Have fun with it. You can either make a consecutive or random pattern..Either way, your end result will look great!
And VOILA! I love this! I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind doing laundry with this stylish pattern facing me.
 For detailed instructions check out designbuildlove.co.

More DIY herringbone accent walls. Get inspired to create a simple change in your home. 
via apartmenttherapy.com
Here's a tip..if you're afraid to steer away from one color to multiple and pattern design, start off by painting a small space in your house. Even if it is just a laundry room or maybe a pantry, the change really does go a long way.~MG

No comments:

Post a Comment