Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wrapping Paper as DIY Framed Art: Lobella Stationary Store

Happy First Day of Summer! Today, a random decision to visit a local stationary store was the perfect start to my summer giving me loads of easy DIY art decor ideas!

It all started with my wallpaper fiasco. The wallpaper is part of my design plan for my dining room/office makeover. So to make a long story short, I go to Lowe's and place my order. Mind you I waited "patiently"  (30-45 minutes) for the sales rep to take my order. I guess I gave him the look of death so hard he quickly offered me a huge discount on the Allen Roth wall paper design I chose. So my order was placed..BUT I get a missed call the next day from the same sales rep who was apparently still affected by my look of death that he marked the message URGENT, stated he remembered me specifically and deeply apologized for the unfortunate news. Good thing my selective hearing wasn't on full blast otherwise I'd think there was a family emergency. But it was disappointing to know my wallpaper would take longer than the 14 days it typically takes.

So my search for alternatives begin. I stumbled into Lobella, a stationary store that apparently has been open for five years. This baffles me because I am at this particular shopping center at least twice a week and never noticed. As soon as I walk in I feel like a little kid in a candy store..my mouth hanging out in utter disbelief at the abundance of colorful goodies! Lobella carries stationary from all parts of the world including Italy, Japan, Korea, Nepal, and even from a local South San Francisco manufacturer, Cavallini & Co. I'm immediately drawn to the wall of decorative wrapping paper

silk screen paper

The first thing that came to mind when I saw all the beautiful paper was affordable framed art! The standard price for one sheet of decorative paper is $3.50-$5.50. A simple frame in black or white and you've got yourself a focal point. These are just a few of my favorites that I know I will be coming back for use in future projects
 Cute hearts.
The very nice owner of Lobella was kind enough to give me details about the paper making. These two floral designs were made in Italy pointing out the beautiful artistically weaved gold that he mentioned only the Italians can master. 

Paper design from Japan
Paper design from Korea

I loved almost every single decorative paper design, but I was mostly impressed with the hand made papers.
This particular design comes from Nepal.

I was in such awe of all the beautiful patterns that I don't quite remember where this was made. I think he mentioned this red and gold paper was made in Korea. Don't worry I will be making plenty of trips back to this store and will validate this.
I love love love this peacock feather design! This would be great in a gold frame.

This beautiful marbled hand made paper is the most impressive to me. How did they do it?!
Beautiful! This can be framed in a slightly more detailed metallic frame perfect for a Asian or Mediterranean themed design.

A few more goodies at Lobella
 Simple, yet lovely thank you card.
The perfect Just Because gift for a fashionista.
 Ribbons Ribbons!
 Geometric patterned gift bags

It was a miracle I only came out of there with two sheets of plain hand made paper for an upcoming DIY bedroom art project. {It's in the works so stay tuned} I was ready to trade in my wedding ring for stacks of paper which would be the silliest thing to explain to my hubby..or anyone.
Walking into Lobella and discovering the beautifully designed decorative wrapping paper is the only good thing that came out of  my wallpaper issues. I didn't find an alternative but I sure did find a great resource for  affordable art ideas. With such gorgeous patterns you can't buy decorative wrap for its purpose, which to me ends in horror. If you're looking for that missing link in your space visit Lobella, or take advantage of your local stationary store to find your next framed art piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment