Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mid Century Comfort

My mid century dining room/office is coming close to completion with just a few more elements needed to complete my mid century design look. I designed it around a few cabinets that were left behind from a family member. Coincidentally, my recent discovery of the new hit show {Magic City} just set my obsession for mid century style on full blast. No sneak peeks of even the abandoned cabinets, but I do want to share a few of my favorite mid century finds..
via darrylwilsondesign.com
via roomandboard.com
Mid century design comes in various styles, shapes and textures. I've come across several styles that give me the cold, unpleasant, and uncomfortable feeling. 
I personally love the designs in warm tones and textures, specifically twill and cotton woven fabrics and solid walnut stained wood furniture.. 
Mid century furniture can cost you a pretty penny but there is a way to get around that huge price tag. Scope out local garage sales or even craigslist, or ask family members and friends. A few of mine had a few passed down as heirlooms or like my cabinets, were forgotten in the corner of a room. Luckily, I saw past all the dust and dirt and realized what a score it was! If you recall seeing a mid century piece sitting somewhere in grandmas house, take a second look and SNAG IT! Rekindle its beauty with a fresh yard of fabric and a few coats of wood stain and you're golden! Plus you've added on more years to pass down to the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment